I have days when there are a million ideas demanding attention, and not enough time to make them or even look at them. Then they get very demanding and nothing else seems to work properly, I get flustered and muddly, and seem to rush around in ever diminishing circles, and then I just give up, and keep still for a bit. That’s when my sketchbooks get an outing and I try and put something down on paper, trying out some ideas, solutions, and process. Here’s what I gave myself the luxury of putting to test on my workbench.So mental contortions, followed by trying stuff out. I have been wanting to try to make hinges for a while so here was an ideal chance to try out one – AND it would allow me to play with shapes, hidden things, and reveals. This all stuff that I love to muck around with. So lots of cutting out, patterning, shaping, and soldering, and everything went quite well until I decided to add a silver ball to the front of the cover, and it melted way before I expected the solder to flow, and made a nasty mess.
At this point I had a bit of a melt down in sympathy and required caffeine and calories to continue. A little bit appeased, well pretending anyhow. I cleaned things up as much as I felt reasonably happy about – this is a trial after all, not everything has to be perfect all the time – even some of the time is tricky. The hinge went swimmingly, it looks a little rustic, but it works, and then my unfinished idea to be able to wear it both open and closed came to a halt. All my ideas were faulty, messy, and furthering the weathered appearance of my piece.
Steve was ready for lunch and put together salady yumminess which we shared, and then he took a look at what I was doing. He made several suggestions, which once I eventually got my head around I tried out, and true to form, completely reversed the direction of the bending involved- and it didn’t work. I tried curly bits, and that didn’t work either. Eventually he took a bit of copper wire and bent me a shape – voila. Once I could see the thing all was revealed! My poor brain. So a simple flat shape was perfect, and after bending it in place I hammered some of the legs flat and it sat perfectly. A beautiful simple jumpring to hang it by and all is done, bar the patination and polishing.
Such is my process. Messy, demanding, confused, and then something magic happens and it all comes together. Alchemy!